Friday 3 October 2014

Back to university

I started my third year at university a week ago. I'm studying English Literature and this year I have classes in Shakespeare, Film, and Literary and Cultural Theory, which is basically politics and philosophy. I'm also writing a dissertation on the Beat Generation writers. My new house is so lovely, I have this small cosy room that I've been able to cover with my books and posters and it's got this view of gardens and rooftops that could be from any century.

I've spent my time reading (Hegemony or Survival by Noam Chomsky, and Go by John Clellon Holmes); sustaining myself basically on cereal, humus and coffee; demonstrating against capitalism; working on my novel; and trying to get a job. I actually did get one, in this horrible nightclub in my town, but I quit after two shifts. I've also had to come to terms with the fact that it's not as easy to conquer the past as I hoped. But I am determined to make this year a good year - it's my last one as an undergraduate and I've got to do some serious planning for the future...

Where are you now in life? Anyone else starting a new term or a new job? :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the classes sound really interesting. I loved doing film at uni and writing is my passion! Writing about the Beat Generation would be fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Researching them and reading their work certainly is... actually doing any writing may be more complicated... :) Oh you studied Film at uni? That's awesome! I am loving it so much now! :)

      Delete